NMMS Scholarship 2023-24: Ministry of Human Resource and Development, Government of India has launched a centrally sponsored National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMS). Under this scheme scholarship will be awarded to 1,00,000 students (at National level) selected at the end of class 8th. The scholarship will start from Class 9th and would continue till Class 12th at the rate of Rs 12000/- per annum. The objective of the scheme is to award scholarship to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at Class 8th and to encourage them to continue their studies till Class 12th.
In this article, we have shared the complete details about NMMS Scholarship such as Apply Date, Eligibility, Last Date, Scholarship Online Apply Process and Link, Scholarship Amount, NMMS Result, Admit Card, Official Website and more, so read the complete details before apply online.
Latest Update: NMMS Scholarship Registration has been started from August 2023 in several states. The online apply link (state wise) has given below in the important link section.
Table of Contents
NMMS Scholarship 2023-24: Overview
|Scholarship Name||National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMS)|
|Department||Ministry of Human Resource Development|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Scholarship Amount||Rs. 12,000 Per Annum|
|Beneficiary||Students of Class 9th to 12th|
NMMS Last Date & Exam Date (State Wise)
|State||Last Date||Exam Date|
|Uttar Pradesh (UP)||18 September 2023||05 November 2023|
|Chandigarh||20 September 2023||05 November 2023|
|Assam||10 October 2023||01 November 2023|
|Andhra Pradesh (AP)||15 September 2023||03 December 2023|
|Odisha||31 August 2023||05 November 2023|
|Delhi||09 September 2023||19 November 2023|
|Maharashtra||October 2023||10 December 2023|
|Chhattisgarh (CG)||08 September 2023||10 December 2023|
|West Bengal (WB)||13 August 2023||17 December 2023|
|Madhya Pradesh (MP)||20 July 2023||24 September 2023|
Eligibility Criteria for NMMS Scholarship
The eligibility criteria for NMMS scholarship selection test are based on three factors: domicile, financial status, and academic qualification. To be considered for the scholarship, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Students studying in 8th Class in Government, Local body and Govt. aided Schools are eligible for this Scheme.
- The students must have obtained minimum 55% marks or equivalent grade in Class 7th examination for appearing in selection test for award of scholarship (relaxation by 5% for SC/ST students). The students should be studying as regular student in a Government, Government-aided and local body schools.
- Parental income from all sources should not exceed than Rs. 3, 50,000/- per annum. Parental Income Certificate issued by Chandigarh Administration has to be attached with the application form.
- Note that students enrolled in ‘Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVS)’ and ‘Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNV)’ are not eligible for scholarships through NMMS program.
- For continuation of scholarship in higher secondary school, the candidate must score at least 60% marks in the class 10 board exam.
- To be eligible to continue receiving the scholarship in class 12, the recipient must have cleared class 11 in their first attempt with a minimum score of 55% or its equivalent. Students belonging to the SC/ST category are granted a 5% relaxation in marks.
Steps to Apply Online Application For NMMS Scholarship 2023-24
If you want to apply for the NMMS scholarship, it’s important to ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria for this scholarship. Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, you can apply for the scholarship online through NMMS official websites. To make the process easier for you, we have provided a detailed step-by-step guide for completing the NMMS scholarship application form:
- Step-1: Visit the NMMS official website for Registration, the registration link has mentioned below in the important link section.
- Step-2: Download the school certificate by entering your registration number and take a print out of it, then get it signed by the headmaster/headmistress of your school.
- Step-3: Upload the following documents:
- Upload the Attested/Signature Certificate
- Upload the income certificate of their guardian.
- Upload your passport size clear photograph
- Upload your signature from part (d) of the third step.
- Step-4: Upload the reservation certificate.
- Step-5: In the last step, take out your final print and keep it safe with you.
- Registered Mobile Number
- Aadhar Card
- Email ID
- Two recent passport-size photographs
- Caste certificate
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority
- Disability status certificate issued by the competent authority
- Photocopy of the Class 7 report card
State Wise Important Links
The NMMS scholarship, a scheme by the Central Government, is conducted by each State/UT for their respective students. The selection process includes two tests – the Mental Ability Test (MAT) and the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). The NCERT sets the guidelines for these tests, which should be completed within 90 minutes by applicants, except for children with special abilities who are given extra time. The State Level Examination Test details are provided below.
Selection Criteria for NMMS Scholarship:
1. Mental Ability Test (MAT)
This test assesses students’ reasoning abilities and critical thinking skills through 90 multiple-choice questions based on topics like analogy, classification, numerical series, pattern perception, hidden figures, etc.
2. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
The SAT includes 90 multiple-choice questions based on the syllabus of classes 7 and 8, covering the subjects of science, social studies, and mathematics.
- 1) GEN, BC & PH : 40% (36 MARKS)
- 2) SC & ST : 32% (29 MARKS)
- NOTE:The student must Qualify both the tests i.e., Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) with at least 40% marks in aggregate taken together for these two tests.
Q. What is the National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship (NMMS)?
A. The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS) is a centrally sponsored scholarship scheme in India. It aims to provide financial support to meritorious students from economically weaker sections to continue their secondary and higher secondary education.
Q. Who is eligible to apply for the NMMS exam?
A. Students must have a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST) or an equivalent grade in their Class 7 examination in order to be eligible for the NMMS selection test held during Class 8 for consideration under the scholarship scheme. The annual income of the parents/guardian of a student must not exceed ₹3,50,000 from all sources.
Q. What is NMMS Exam Pattern?
A. The NMMS exam comprises two sections: the Mental Ability Test (MAT) and Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). The MAT assesses the reasoning ability of students, while the SAT examines their subject knowledge. Each test lasts 90 minutes and consists of 90 multiple-choice questions.
Q. How to apply online for the National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship?
A. Students can apply for the NMMS through NMMS official website or offline application process, depending on the states or union territories in which they are pursuing their studies.