The John Monash Scholarship is Australia’s premier postgraduate scholarship award that recognizes excellence, leadership, and celebrates the legacy of General Sir John Monash, one of the country’s greatest leaders. Unlike other scholarship awards, the John Monash Scholarship is not limited by age, academic field of study, or choice of overseas university, making it a unique opportunity for students across a range of disciplines. In addition to the financial support, John Monash Scholars are further nurtured by the John Monash Foundation Leadership Academy, providing them with lifelong career support and professional development opportunities to tackle the most pressing global challenges.
Are you seeking a scholarship to support your studies in Australia or overseas? The John Monash Scholarship provides an exceptional opportunity for students who aspire to make a significant impact in their fields. Here are the benefits of receiving a John Monash Scholarship:
- Choose the best overseas university to support your field of study.
- Receive $75,000 AUD for each year of study (up to a maximum of $225,000 AUD for 3 years).
- Get travel support and advice to relocate overseas.
- Join a collaborative community of 248 John Monash Scholars in Australia and other countries.
- Gain admission into the John Monash Foundation Leadership Academy and receive lifelong professional development to enhance your capacity for international collaboration and leadership in your field.
John Monash Scholarship: Eligibility and Selection Criteria
If you are an Australian graduate with exceptional academic achievements and a drive to create a better future for your country, you might have what it takes to become a John Monash Scholar. Each year, the John Monash Scholarships are granted to outstanding graduates to support them in pursuing postgraduate studies at the best universities worldwide.
Eligibility Criteria: To qualify for a John Monash Scholarship, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Have completed or be near completion of your undergraduate degree from an Australian university.
- Plan to commence your postgraduate study overseas in the year following your application.
- Present a compelling argument for your chosen course, institution, and how they will contribute to progress in your field of study.
- Not have received a Rhodes, Fulbright or Ramsay scholarship.
Key Selection Criteria: Successful applicants will exhibit excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to citizenship. This includes:
- Demonstrating excellence in your academic pursuits through outstanding results, awards, publications, performances, exhibitions, and professional endeavours.
- Showing leadership experience or potential through your studies, work, or community involvement.
- Identifying a clear career path that demonstrates your potential to contribute to Australia, including a well-developed case for the chosen university in the proposed area of study.
A study program in the calendar year following the year of application and selection is granted through the John Monash Scholarships.
- Online applications are opened on May 1st and closed mid-July each year. Over 300 applications are usually received. It is highly recommended that an online application is opened early, as the application can be edited or saved as often as required prior to the deadline.
- The first-round interviews are held nationally from August to September, and the process selects approximately 100 candidates.
- National interviews are held in person over two days in Sydney and Melbourne each October, and approximately 40 candidates are shortlisted for this.
- In-person interviews are subject to change and may move to a virtual format, depending on travel restrictions. Online interviews can be offered to applicants who are not currently based in Australia. The Video Conferencing Guide should be reviewed to prepare for the online interview.
- Between 10-20 Scholarships are awarded in November each year. Our John Monash Scholars are officially announced at an official Presentation Ceremony hosted by our Patron in Chief, the Governor-General of Australia.
The following are important dates related to the 2023 scholarship selection process in Australia. Applicants should note that they will be assigned to an interview panel based on their Australian state or territory address listed in their application. If an applicant is currently overseas during the interview period, they should provide their current overseas address in the application to be allocated to a virtual conference panel.
|Scholarship applications open
|Scholarship applications close
|WA First Round Panels
|NSW First Round Panels (1)
|NSW First Round Panels (2)
|Tasmania First Round Panels
|Victoria First Round Panels (1)
|Victoria First Round Panels (2)
|South Australia First Round Panels
|QLD First Round Panels
|ACT First Round Panels
|Virtual First Round Panels
|NT First Round Panels
|National Panels – Melbourne (1)
|National Panels – Melbourne (2)
|National Panels – Sydney (1)
|National Panels – Sydney (2)
John Monash Scholarship FAQ’s
Q: What is the application period for the Foundation?
A: The Foundation’s application period starts on May 1st and ends at 11:59 pm AEST on July 14th. Please note that the Foundation only accepts applications during this set period once a year, and applications submitted outside of this timeframe will not be considered.
Q: Can I apply for the John Monash Scholarship if my proposed study starts later this year?
A: In order to be eligible for the John Monash Scholarship, you must plan to undertake your postgraduate degree the year following the application and selection process. This means that if you apply in, for example, 2023, you should plan to commence your Masters or PhD degree at any point in 2024. It’s important to note that being accepted into your degree program is not a requirement for eligibility. Depending on the application deadlines for your proposed course of study, you may not be able to apply until after the Scholarship round is complete.
Q: Is it possible to apply for other scholarships while also applying for a John Monash Scholarship?
A: Applicants are welcome to apply for other scholarships, but those who have already secured a Rhodes, Fulbright, or Ramsay scholarship for the same academic year are not eligible for a John Monash Scholarship. During the application process, applicants should disclose any other scholarships they have applied for to avoid any conflicts of interest. We encourage transparency and open communication regarding other scholarship applications.